Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Apple Picking!


Several weeks ago, we took the family apple picking. We have made this an annual trip for years and years and our kids, wired to adore tradition, love the trip. Within an hour of our home there is an amazing apple orchard with a huge array of apple types, a bakery to turn out warm apple cider donuts and fresh baked pies, a petting zoo and a corn maze. We have to budget to afford the outing but by the time the children return to school, I know it is time to start setting aside a bit of cash to ensure the family event.


This year, my mom and my uncle were visiting when we planned our trip to the orchard. We loved having them with us and we all had a great time. One of the things I love about doing an activity like this with my family is that it helps my children to learn about the food that they eat. They learn how it grows, where it grows, what it takes to harvest a crop and how that crop turns into other things we eat. I love watching them climb trees to get the juiciest apples. I love watching them carry their bags, heavy with their spoils. I love spending the day outside with my children running and laughing and enjoying one another. And I love knowing that we are set for apples for a good, long while.

At the end of our trip, we put over 80 lbs. of apples in the van. We were tired and happy and the smell of cider donuts filled the air. What did we do with all those apples? I would love to share that with you so stop on back tomorrow!
Blessings on your day!




No comments: