Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tasty Tuesday--Chocolate Muffins


I love making something homemade for my kids in the morning. The passion for this is fully mine since my children could take or leave it. Seems you always want what you don't have. They have a mom who bakes and yet they crave anything that comes pre-packaged. It can be frustrating to me though I am sure that someday when they are sitting in a college residence hall, it will be cookies made at home that they call to request. Well, I hope so anyway...

So, I was talking with a friend last week about quick morning recipes and she shared one that seemed too good to be true. I asked her twice what the ingredients were and I am sure she thought there was something wrong with my memory given that there are only two items on that list. Generally, I have both in stock so it seemed like this was a good fit for our mornings. Curious?

Here is the recipe she shared:

Chocolate Muffins

Ingredients:

1 chocolate cake mix (add no ingredients)
1 can of packed pumpkin

Directions:

Mix both ingredients together until they are well mixed. Scoop the batter (it will be thick) into greased muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (mine took a little less time) til a toothpick comes out clean.

Yep, that's it. The whole recipe. Pretty sweet, huh? Turns out it's healthy, too. (98.5 calories, 1.5 g. fat, 1.2 g. fiber) You can add chocolate chips, if you would like, but there is no oil and lots of beta carotene. Pumpkin is a great food to sneak into your children's diets! After my kids ate them, I asked them to guess what was in it and not one of them came up with pumpkin. : ) They were moist and warm and chocolaty. We added juice and a dairy product to round out breakfast. A very easy treat!

Give it a try! I would not have thought it they would come out so well but it is a great and easy recipe for a busy winter morning!

Blessings on your day!

No comments: